Re: TR3A Cooling - TRF yellow fan kit

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Cooling - TRF yellow fan kit
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:45:10 -0600
Cc: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Adrian, on a TR4 it's a good idea to install the yellow fan with the
shorter TR3 fan hub assembly. That buys you the extra 1"+ needed for the
fan. I guess on your TR3 you'd need to fit a TR2 fan hub assembly*, but
I can only imagine how hard it would be to find a TR1 fan hub assembly
for a TR2 yellow fan upgrade. ;-) AFA installation on your TR3 it's
easiest to upgrade to a TR4 entire car assembly, which will make future
radiator work a lot easier too. Even if you don't try that upgrade, 1/8"
would be scary close. If your car is running, you could cleverly use
modeling clay and your sculptural skills to test just how close the fan
comes to the radiator now. All that juggling to get the radiator in
there sounds risky, Adrian; I think you should take this opportunity to
practice your TR3 body-panel removal skills instead of trying to avoid
the work.

The yellow fan I bought from TRF wouldn't fit backwards on my TR4 fan
hub assembly without shaving the fan or the hub, and anyway I figured if
it's supposed to be a cooling efficiency upgrade it'd be a shame to
install it backwards -- less efficiently.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4 etc.

*not really.