Brake and Oil Warning lights

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>
Subject: Brake and Oil Warning lights
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:29:06 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net i34GVJpX028377
Message text written by "Adam C Beasley"
>My brake and oil warning lights are staying on even though I don't see any
problem with the oil pressure or the brake performance.  My oil pressure it
around 65 psi, and my brakes seem to work fine and stop the car
exceptionally well.  Is there anything I should look for in particular.
possibly a loose ground?
<

I'm willing to bet that the oil pressure switch is wired up wrong.  There
are three wires and three terminals.  The switch is a classic Form C switch
which means it has a terminal that is normally closed, one that is normally
open and one that is common.  I have at home the configuration as to which
wire goes on which terminal but since I am currently at the office, I can't
help you with that now, but if you have a volt meter you can sort this out
yourself.

Pull the three wires off of the switch (make a note as to where they were
just incase).  With the engine off, measure two terminals at a time with
the ohmmeter and make a note as to which two have continuity (zero ohms).
Now start the engine and repeat the measurement.  Whichever terminal is
included in both pairs is the common terminal and gets the black wire.

Now connect the other two wires at random.  If the oil warning light comes
on with the engine off and the ignition on and goes out with the engine
running then you are done.  If the light is off when the engine is stopped
and comes on with the engine running then swap the two wires and then you
are done.

Of course there is always the possibility that the switch itself is
defective (has happened to me twice) then the light will not respond to oil
pressure (engine running or not).  Then you will need a new switch.

Good luck

Dave Massey