RE: Gauge repair, Thanks

To: "Mitchel Seff" <ms6453@optonline.net>, "'Triumphs@Autox Net \(E-mail\)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gauge repair, Thanks
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:29:04 -0800
> What it does not seem to explain is , where do the "O" rings go. Do they
> seal between the glass & bezel or fit between the dash & gauge.

There was originally material in both places.  The seal between the glass
and the bezel may have originally been "dum dum" rather than an O-ring.  The
seal between the gauge and the dash was definitely supplied as a ring, but a
modern O-ring is only an approximate substitute.  The original was firmer,
less stretchy, and I believe was rectangular in cross-section.  Justin
Wagner recently told our local club that there is a VCR drive belt that is a
better approximation than an O-ring.  The ones he had sure looked good, but
unfortunately I don't know a part number or supplier offhand.

Randall