Re: Hydraulic Fitting Nomenclature

To: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Fitting Nomenclature
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:16:22 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jeffrey J. Barteet wrote:

> Hi, Folks,
>
> I'm hoping somebody can set me straight on the different types of flared
> fittings employed in hyraulic lines.
>
> What type of fittings are used stock on our Triumphs?

If you mean for brake hydraulics, the lines and fittings are double-flared
(which some prefer to call a "bubble" flare).

> Can you make your own lines with a flaring tool like you see at the
> hardware store?

Most of such available are single-flare tools.

> And I see all these spiffy anodized aluminum 'AN' fittings and wonder how
> one might go about employing them on our cars. It seems that once upon a
> time, these were only found on aircraft, but now I see them EVERYWHERE on
> everything. And it also seems they're finally becoming a bit more
> affordable as well.
>
> I understand there are 37 degree flares and 40 degree flares. Which goes
> to what?

Hmmm. Don't remember seeing any aluminum AN fittings.

Actually there are two main US flare standards, JIC (37 deg), which is
principally used with industrial hydraulics and
SAE, which is a 45 deg. flare, and is mostly for automotive and general
commercial use.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.