RE: brake noise

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake noise
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:13:02 -0700
> Driver side front brake has started to make a loud screaching sound.
> Its is not any brake pad noise that I am acustomed to.
> I brought it to a shop and they pulled the hub off. the rotors were
> resurfaced.
> One thing of note was that the race in the hub came out.  These usually
> require
> quite a force to come out.
> They put it back in with lock tite.

So, did that help the situation ?

I believe, if the race was loose in the hub, that it could allow the
hub/rotor assembly to vibrate and make noise.  I also believe that pads can
"take a set" that makes them want to vibrate.  If the problem persists, I
would suggest replacing the hub, and using a flat file to cut a fresh
surface across the face of the pads (or just replace them).  At the same
time, hand roughen the face of the rotors using crocus cloth or similar, or
if you have them, the purpose-made abrasive pads by 3M.  To cap it off,
install some "universal anti-squeal shims" on the back of each pad.  These
are aluminum sheets backed with adhesive, I found them in the "Help!"
section at the local auto parts house (Pep Boys).  I don't have the P/N
handy at the moment, but I've posted it before.

Randall