rear bearings on a TR4.

To: "'wtrrtw@yahoo.com'" <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
Subject: rear bearings on a TR4.
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:41:48 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'm sure you'll get a barrage of answers to this. . .but I'll put in my $.02
too.

No way in hell you are getting a rear hub off the axle with a 6 ton press.

I'd guess the vast majority of them will not come off with a 20 ton press.

I used a 50 ton press with LOTS of care to support things correctly.
I have heard lots of stories of people totally F-ing up their hubs by using
a press instead of a properly made tool.

The tapered end of the axle fits perfectly into the tapered bore of the hub.

I remember beating the living hell out of 8mm tapered pins holding gears and
cams on industrial machinery shafts.
They held like the dickens and they were just hammered into place . .no nut
to pull them together.

What would the diameter of a TR4 axle shaft be?   40mm?
How much torque does that big nut on the outside get?    Over 100 ft. lbs.?

I also agree with Randall:  Don't change them just for good measure.  If
there is nothing wrong with them, don't mess with them.
Even with a lack of maintenance, they can go on and on.
They can be messed up by a DPO who doesn't set the shims back in correctly
though.

Scott Tilton   -- TR-s for 17 years . .I'm my own DPO
1963 TR4 everyday  (running strong with rebuilt rear hubs bought from Irv
Korey)
Leesburg, VA