RE: Virus

Subject: RE: Virus
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:31:36 -0700
>Buying a Macintosh will open up a whole new set of problems, virus' may not
>be high on this list but finding tools and applications will. It is a great
>machine, and at one time way ahead of it's time! It is not a main-stream
>machine and not good at all for business people.

Certainly, more specialized and obscure applications are not being
written as yet for the Mac platform, and indeed they may never be.
But I'm a business person (own my own business) and don't really
understand the distinction beyond the limited availability of
specialized applications. Even THAT is misleading. The applications I
use for print design and image editing are ALSO specialized and to
all but graphic designers, pretty obscure. And yet I'm running them
on a Mac.

But for your basic home user, there's NO reason why a Mac can't
accomplish everything anyone would want, and all without the threat
of those damned, pesky viruses.

>I own 6 Macs, and as many PC's. Prior to MacOSX multitasking was bad at the
>best. I have resigned to using my Mac for what is does best, graphics. All
>else I do on my pc.

Mac OS X does have many substantive improvements, although I'm not
there yet. OS X represents a substantial investment in new software,
etc. But the Mac doesn't just do graphics. It'll do anything it has
software to do, period. Computers crunch numbers, period. There's
nothing about the modern day Mac that restricts its use to graphics.

>As much as I love em, I could not image using one as my everyday machine.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want a Mac for everyday home use.
They're reliable, simple to use, and effectively virus-proof. Why
does anyone want a computer that is constantly at risk of infection?
What a pain in the butt!!

Oh well. To each his own. And I suppose that someday I'll get my
comeuppance when some dirt bag finally gets around to sending out
some nasty new Mac virus.

Have fun dodging those viruses, folks!
--
Pete Chadwell