Re: tires and wheels for a TR3

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "Triumph Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tires and wheels for a TR3
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:19:30 -0700
 Although the
> sidewall is marked with a reduced speed, I believe it is so lightly loaded
> on a TR3 that the limit doesn't apply.  I drove roughly 75 miles in under
an
> hour on it, no problem.
>
> I got the tire at the local "Pull yer own" junkyard.  Came out of a Nissan
> Maxima I think (lots of cars with 14" wheels use this size spare), looked
> like it had never been used, cost me $10 including the wheel.  (For $2
more
> they would have kept the wheel <g>)  It's significantly lighter too, which
> makes it easier to handle and might even help performance a tiny bit due
> less weight to lug around.
>
> Randall

As long as you brought it up, is the reduced speed they mark on those donut
spares because of fear of tire failure at higher speeds or fear of driver
failure due to the reduced handling characteristics?  I asked at a tire shop
once and was told the speed limit was because of the impact on road
worthiness, but then consider the source.....

Bob