Re: clutch clicking

To: <clarkja34@netscape.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch clicking
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:12:52 -0400
Jim,
Try removing the sheet metal cover plate that covers the bottom of the
flywheel and bolts to the transmission. I had the same noises once with my
TR4A and found that when you depress the clutch a slight movement of the
crankshaft and thus the flywheel forward allows the flywheel ring gear bolts
to rub against the sheet metal cover. In my case it made quite a racket.
There will be definite shiny spots on the inside of the cover where the
bolts are rubbing. If you find that's the problem check and see if maybe you
have the cover turned around with the wrong side towards the engine. The
rolled lip around the outside of the cover should be installed to the
outside or engine side of the cover. If you have it installed correctly then
you may need to bend it slightly at the contact areas to move it away from
the bolts. If all else fails then place a washer between the lower bolts and
the bellhousing to angle it out some.
This is my guess of what the problem is that you are having.
Jerry Van Vlack
Hudson, OH