RE: TRF Summer Party - more photos up

To: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TRF Summer Party - more photos up
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:41:45 -0500
HGV = Heavy Goods Vehicle, and it can, indeed, be a straight truck, although
most are articulated in the UK now.  For those of you that have never
traveled in the UK, especially in the south east near Dover, you would be
amazed at the collection of HGVs that you will see on the Motorways.  There
are trucks from Spain, France, the Netherlands, Germany, the former Warsaw
Pact countries - it's incredible.  And, while they are not as long as the
18-wheelers here, they are still pretty huge and quite daunting when you
meet one in a country lane!

This is taking me back to my youth - does anyone in the UK remember the old
Leyland Octopus?  I bet jonmac does.  It was a four axle straight truck -
two steering axles at the front and two dual-wheeled axles at the back.  I
never drove one but I would imagine it "pushed" quite a bit, as they say in
NASCAR!  And yes, this is the same Leyland that merged with BMC to form BL.

Michael Marr
1960 TR3A
Whitewater, WI (expatriate Englishman and proud of it)