RE: Sheet metal

Subject: RE: Sheet metal
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:17:49 -0700 FILETIME=[37449140:01C35859]
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Don Malling wrote:
> >
> > How does one "gather the metal"?

Mike Porter replied :

> ... But, simply, using a hard metal dolly
> underneath an area and lightly hammering with a soft-head
> mallet (rawhide is best, rubber less so) creates ripples in the
> metal which then merge, thickening the metal in that
> area.

This is far beyond my current skills, but I've also read of heating the area
with an OA torch and then quenching it with a wet rag.  This will supposedly
shrink the metal, and solve "oil canning" where you have big ripples that
move around when you try to work them.

There are also "shrinking hammers", but it seems most people say they don't
work very well.

Randall