rear crossmember repair

To: "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: rear crossmember repair
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:23:56 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6JDPk7S016410
Message text written by "Alan"
>While everything is out of the car, I thought it might be a good time to
fix
the crack in the rear crossmember.
I thought there were instructions posted somewhere.
As I remember u have to cut through the  rear shelf to gain access to the
area. Can the area just be welded or does it need reinforcing steel also?.
<

Al, cutting through the rear shelf is an alternative to removing the
differential to access the frame.  But since you have the diff out (that is
part of everthing, right) there is no need to cut any sheet metal.  You may
want to remove the gas tank, just for safety's sake.

The frame, as is, lasted pretty long.  I've heard that the main cause of
these failures is the diff bushings going soft allowing undue stress on the
remaining mounts.  If so, keeping on top of the mounts will be the best
defense against a reoccurance.  But if you are having the frame welded
anyway you may want to implement the belts-and-suspenders fix and have the
extra bracing added.  It will stiffen up the frame a bit and make you feel
better.

Cheers

Dave Massey
71 TR6