Re: Favorite Beer, no LBC, well, some LBC, and a lot of Twin Cities

To: "William Scherer" <scherer_william@hotmail.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Favorite Beer, no LBC, well, some LBC, and a lot of Twin Cities
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:13:02 -0500
From: "William Scherer" <scherer_william@hotmail.com>
To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 7:02 PM
Subject: Favorite Beer, no LBC

> Hi List
>   My favorite beer here in California is Henry Weinhard.  It is
inexpensive,
> good tasting , and a comes in a varity of beer and ales.  However I will
be
> moving to Midwest in a few weeks, does anyone know if Henrys is available
in
> Minnesota?  If not, I will be drinking Pigs Eye beer (brewed in the old
> Schmidt brewery).

Not any more, it's not.  All that goes on there now is ethanol production
for gasoline.  The ungodly smell has had the West End neighborhood up in
arms since they started production. If the wind is just wrong, I can
sometimes detect it at my house across the Mississippi on the West Side.
Besides being a farce as a clean-air fuel in cars, the manufacture is
decidedly not clean-air.

When the big breweries used to be operating in town, they took turns
producing Pete's Wicked Ale, which was marketed at being from Palo Alto.

Don't worry about the beer.  Whatever your taste in beer is, you will be
able to get something you like here.

My beer-loving, Bud-hating, friends seem to like Summit Pale Ale, brewed in
Saint Paul.  I am happy to say their facility does not smell at all.

Many folks here also like Lienenkugel's which is brewed in Chippewa Falls
Wisconsin.

I think Henry Weinhard root beer is available at the Embers on Old Hudson
Road and White Bear Avenue.  Their root beer was good when I had it.  Don't
recall if the joint has a beer license...

On the LBC front, apropos of beer, I am sorry to report that the brewpub
Sherlock's Home has closed its doors.  Our Sunday-night britcar gatherings
have moved to the ersatz-Oz bar Billabong on the strip.  They have a big
parking lot.

In any case, regardless of what Bob Bownes may tell you, the Twin Towns are
not a cultural wasteland.  Saint Paul boasts what has been called the best
European-style opera house in the world.  Then again, in-line skating was
invented here.  Tailgating was invented here, too.  Not the kind on the
roads (although that is all-to-common), but the kind at the ballpark.

Please contact me when you move here.  We have a thriving britcar community
and a good Triumph club.  We have a good autocross club also, but sites have
been a problem of late.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com