RE: Machine shops and costs of machining...Please Help

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Machine shops and costs of machining...Please Help
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:53:17 -0700 FILETIME=[5D4D2E20:01C34818]
> I was hoping to have it all back within a
> week or so,
> but it ended up taking 7, and when I picked it up today, the
> crank had been
> turned, and it had the rear scroll ground off. The nitriding and
> balancing
> weren't done, and the rods hadn't been done at all. So I paid for
> what was done
> ($220 to 'turn crank' and $250 to 'grind seal surface to fit new
> seal')

That's absurd !

I took three cranks in to Anaheim Crankshaft last year, asked them to just
magnaflux two of them and magnaflux and grind the third one (mains and rods
.010" under, grind scroll area to 2.500").  I don't recall what the bill was
offhand, but it was way less than $200 total.  Something like $7 or $10 per
journal, maybe twice that for the scroll, and $30 each for magnaflux.  Took
them in on Saturday afternoon, they called the following Tuesday to tell me
they were done.

>  Also, does anyone happen to have a picture of a TR2-4A
> crankshaft with its rear scroll ground off,

Whether it's been ground at all should be abundantly obvious : are there any
signs of the scroll ?  If so, it hasn't been ground.  After grinding, it
looks just like a journal.  To be certain it's been done right, you'll need
a good micrometer (my not-so-good micrometer read 2.5003, which probably
represents it's error <g>).

> Evidently the shop had to send the crank out to a
> shop in Sacramento

IMO that's a big problem right there.  Shipping is expensive, plus you've
got two shops taking a profit on it. Also, a freshly ground crank will rust
quickly if not preserved, so they have to paint Cosmolene or something on it
for shipping.  Much better to deal with the grinder directly, if you can,
and there's bound to be one closer than 200 mi.

> apparently
> they rarely do parts for Triumphs, so I am just weary that it may
> not have been
> ground down to the exact dimensions if they did not have the seal or
> dimensions to work with.

I assumed Anaheim Crank had never heard of a Triumph, took a printed sheet
of paper in with exact instructions and measurements.  Most shops (including
AC) really appreciate this approach, as it makes it easier for them.  I like
it because then there's no potential for argument as to what the correct
numbers are.  Of course, if I get the numbers wrong, it's my fault and I've
just paid good money for an odd-shaped paper weight ...

BTW, one of the first things the counterman said to me was "Is that the same
as a TR4 ?  We see those all the time." <g>

Randall