Re: Plastic blast?

Subject: Re: Plastic blast?
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@covad.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:25:02 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John Peacock wrote:
>>               removing paint and rust. It can be used several times
>

> How do you re-use it.  Or more importantly, where do you spray that you can
> gather it back up to re-use?  Are you doing it in a garage or on a driveway?
> I will be needing this information when I get started too so I have been
> following this thread pretty closely.
>
> Thanks
> John

Get a really big tarp and spread it out under the object. I mean BIG! Also, set
up some simple barriers around the object. Unless you can completely seal off
the blasting area, I suggest you do this outside. The media will go EVERYWHERE,
at distances that will surprise you.

When I worked in my garage on a car body, I hung a simple framework from the
ceiling over the car and draped it with plastic sheeting. Kind of like a giant
canopy bed. It worked, but it was hotter than hell in there.

This may sound a little weird, but the ideal temporary blasting booth would be
big camping tent. Tough to get the car in, but, you get the idea.

As for re-use, you will sweep and/or vacuum the stuff up. Before you load it
back into the blast bucket, you must run it through a sifter to get the big
stuff out. I have a 2'x2' frame made of 1"x4" planks with ordinary steel window
screen stapled to it. It's like one of those sifting boxes the archeologists
use.

Have fun, but make damned sure you use a high quality filter mask. DO NOT do
this without a mask. You do not want this crap in your lungs. I would also
suggest a blasting hood. They are cheap and will make you life much happier.
You
do not want this crap getting in your eyes, either. Goggles help, but they
really don't do the trick for extended jobs. Get the hood. You won't regret it.

The reflected media stings like a insect bite on bare flesh. Magnify that by
several thousand impacts per minute and you get the idea. Wear long sleeves,
long pants, gloves, etc. Trust me on this. Been there, done that, have the
marks
to prove it.

Prepare to get very, very dirty :-)