Re: new lister here

To: charles dubois <duboistr3@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: new lister here
From: "Bob Westerdale" <Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:45:46 -0400 |February 13, 2003) at 07/02/2003 12:45:49 PM, Serialize complete at 07/02/2003 12:45:49 PM FILETIME=[64CB5340:01C340B9]
Cc: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Charlie-
        A few thoughts-
                What is the oil pressure? Hot and cold.....,  hi speed,
idle.

                What did it sound like the last time it ran? ( ie 15 years
ago)

                at an idle, pull off each plug wire (one at a time).  if
the noise changes significantly, ( ie goes to a double knock or
disappears,  it may be the Conn rod bearing for that piston.

                You can pull off the oil pan with the engine in place and
check for spun Conn rod bearings/ galled crank                  surfaces,
etc.  It is possible to check the center main bearing, but the F & R mains
are a bit of a drag to
                pull out and replace from underneath.  ( much bigger job)

                Strangely,  years ago  the two bolts that held my camshaft
sprocket loosened up,  ( yeah, my dumbass                       mistake)
and the noise/speed relationship was quite similar to yours.   Eventually,
the bolts sheared off and               the cam chain and sprocket punched
through the timing chain cover.  ( not pretty.)  Unlikely, but these are
British cars....  stuff happens!

        Good luck,
                Bob Westerdale
                59 3A  TS 36967