RE: Clutch etc

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch etc
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:51:28 -0700
> My beast, the TR4, (64) is getting the best of me.  The clutch is
> more or less shot.

How do you know?

>  Called Moss today and ordered the Clutch kit.  Looking at
> my manuel,
> this appears to be one heck of a job.  Its kind of overwhelmed me
> . . . any
> advice or should I take it to a good mechanic and be spared the
> aggravation,
> that currently I have an over abundance of!

Replacing the clutch is a fairly major operation, well within the "shade
tree" mechanic's realm IMO, but a lot of work.  Whether to do it yourself or
pay someone else is between you, your pocketbook, and your shipwright's
disease.  Getting a quote from a shop might help you decide.  Be sure to ask
if the price includes modifying the clutch fork to prevent the dreaded
broken taper pin.  There may be parts in need of attention that aren't
included in Moss' kit, since the clutch itself last a long, long time and
most "clutch problems" are actually linkage problems.

Randall