RE: Timing Gear Problem(?) TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Timing Gear Problem(?) TR4
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:23:13 -0700 FILETIME=[202D6570:01C339AC]
>    I just unstalled a new timing gear and chain.  The chain did
> not have a
> detachable link so it was quite a chore lining up the marks and
> fitting the cam
> wheel on the on the shaft.  The chain is real tight with no free
> play  without
> finger pressure.  I am a little concerned about rapid  and
> excessive wear.
> Is this condition normal?

All sounds perfectly normal to me.  New gears and chain should be tight
enough that it's a bit difficult to hold the cam gear up and put the first
bolt in.  However, there's a good deal of tension applied to one side with
the engine running, so the tensioner is still needed to take up the slack on
the other side.

Timing chains almost never have detachable links, as they're prone to fall
out with extended service.  No big deal on a bicycle, but not something you
want to have happen to a car engine.  Even serious bicyclists shun them for
the same reason.

Randall