TR3a carbs - continued

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3a carbs - continued
From: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:02:16 -0400
I ordered through the NAPA guy a set of metallic core wires (almost 0
resistance) for a V8( cheaper per wire then the 4cyl). These were not fancy
and they were DIY-cut-to-length wires. Perfect the longest wire in the set
is 38" and the longest wire I need is 14". Lots of left over!  The plug
boots were right angles and sealed as well.  Plus I have a spare set of
wires to make another harness, if not I may sell them to a lister who can
use them.

Picked up the new cap as well. Started the install of the new wires in the
new cap. When I took the wire off the coil (screw type) I noticed the
connector on the wire was corroded a bit, this can't help the engine run
right :-) cleaned up the terminal and installed it on the new wire and put a
thin film of grease on the connector to protect it. Checked the coil
connector, it has corrosion as well, bummer. Out comes the dremel and the
steel brush attachment, clean as a whisle.

Put the new wires and cap on, turned ignition on, press the starter, zooom
she starts right away. Hmmm, cool.  Go for a test drive and on acceleration
I am getting severe pinking, too lean?? Now that the spark is getting
through I need to readjust the carbs.  Btw, I touched the plug boot and no
more shocks, way cool.

Get back to the house and while she is still warm press the buttons on the
side of the carbs, no speed increase, richen the mix and try again ( 4 flats
) still no speed increase. Try more ( 4 flats ) and still no increase. My
thought is one of two things:

- really flippin' lean

- something messed with the buttons on the carb.

So tomorrow I will take her for a run and see if the pinking is less. Does
this sound like the correct course of actions?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so far to all,

David Templeton
'59TR3a