RE: 1980 tr7 water pump weep hole

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1980 tr7 water pump weep hole
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:40:04 -0700
> is it a by pass  relief if the
> seals in the water pump go bad so that the fluid does not drain
> down into the block ?

That's what it is.

> can i seal it ?  or would that seal it's safety
> purpose ?

Without the hole, the water would be forced into the crankcase.  That would
be bad.

>  must i pull that nightmare of a pump out of the block ?

Yup.

>  it looks
> like it requires a special tool (according to the manual) to get it out ?

I haven't had the pleasure, but my TR7 Haynes talks about removing the
impellor with mole grips (aka Vise Grips) and then putting a big flat washer
back under the end bolt, to use as a pry point to pull the shaft out.  Seems
to me that the seal would have to come out with the shaft, but even if it
didn't, having the shaft out of the way should leave enough room to get in
there with a pilot bearing puller and extract the rest of the pump.

The "special tool" appears to just be a slide hammer with a left hand bolt
to match the thread in the pump shaft, so it seems that it would do the same
thing as prying against the flat washer.

Randall