Engine Problem Triumph Vitesse

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Problem Triumph Vitesse
From: "Ian Viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 23:13:11 +0100
Listers,
A plea for help from a friend of mine ... Triumph Vitesse blew head gasket,
head warped so skimmed, and put back together. Nothing else touched (timing
or carbs etc). Very difficult to start up, eventually ran on 6 cylinders but
very rough. Was running well before gasket problem. Timing now checked and
various settings tried - won't run at 4 degrees ATDC (manual figure), will
run rough at about 12 degrees BTDC. Seems to be running weak (runs a bit
better with choke half way out) but Stromberg carbs aren't adjustable (?)
Friend at wits end - I said I would try the list for him - any ideas or
suggestions?
Thanks,
Ian Viles (Derbyshire)