GT6+ Purchase Issues

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6+ Purchase Issues
From: "Derek White" <derekw@sltnet.lk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:35:01 +0500
Hi Zach,

As others have said, keep the shifter tight or you risk breaking the
gearbox. The rubber bushes on the rear lower wishbones and radius arms tend
to dry rot and get loose. Check those first as they are easier to change. If
you have to change the rotoflex couplings, take off a rear wheel, put
blocks/stand under the drum/hub, put lots of weight on that side of the back
and while the weight is on tie the spring up with strong wire (twice for
safety!) This will hold up the spring while you take everything apart. Or
you can buy/make the tool they show in the book. My GT6 tightened up nicely
with an extra leaf or two in the rear spring. The weak link in the GT6 is
the diff. I once asked Terry Hurrel at Triumphtune what to do about the diff
and he said "use narrow tires." I decided to keep the sticky rubber and
replaced the diff every 10-20,000 miles (with cheap used ones.)

cheers, derek

Derek White
37/2 Buller's Lane
Colombo 7