TR6 Distributor Points Cam

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Distributor Points Cam
From: "Art Graves" <denseboy@bga.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:27:39 -0500
My TR6 is running poorly and I discovered that I do not have any centrifugal
advance.  I verified this by using a timing light while revving the engine.
I know that at least a year ago that I did have some centrifugal advance.  I
also remember being able to grab the rotor and twist the distributor shaft;
it would turn a few degrees and then spring back.  The springs are in
place - I have never done anything with them.  I want to remove the
distributor points cam in order to clean the mechanism and centrifugal
weights.

I have removed the contact assembly and the screw at the top of the
distributor shaft thinking that the upper part of the shaft/points cam would
slide off.  Well, it will not budge.  I've sprayed a lot of PB Blaster and
tried prying it gently, but no luck.  Am I correct in thinking that the cam
will come off this way?  I considered using a puller on it.  Does that sound
like a good idea?  Thanks for your help.

Art Graves
Austin, Texas
1976 Triumph TR6
1985 Jaguar XJ6