Re: Rubber to chrome bumper on a spit

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rubber to chrome bumper on a spit
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:25:36 -0400
Yes, it can be done.  I did it on my 1980 Spitfire.  The rears are a
simple bolt on.  For the front, you've got two flavors for the
approach.

Technique one is to simply cut a notch in the big brace piece that
holds that urethane outrigger.  The notch is in the back of it, behind
the vertical face.  You'll see what I'm describing as soon as you hold
the chrome bumper up to it.  This allows you to mount the chrome bumper,
but it leaves you a very large flat plate sticking out in front of it.
Not attractive imo, though mine stayed that way for a good year.

Technique #2 is to cut the entire bracket thingie off the hinge box.
That's not easy, as it's a hodge-podge of seam welds and spot welds.
All made worse by the fact that the hinge box the bracket is welded to
is thinner and weaker then the plate.  So when you try to pry/chisel,
the hinge box is the first thing to bend.  It took me a couple of hours
to get mine off without mangling everything.  That said, this approach
looks the best as it greatly reduces the appearance.

>>> David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com> 04/18/03 05:01PM >>>
Hi all,

A friend has an 1980 spitfire and has lead on some 1975 bumpers. Can
they be
used?