Re: TR3 Tranny Oil Check

To: "Daniel Shockey" <magnut_dan@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Tranny Oil Check
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:08:48 -0700
Hey Dan,
Are you saying you have an early model trans with a dipstick and a late
model tunnel cover with no way to get at it? That must have been the
combination on my car 'cause there was a rather jagged not too round hole in
the cover with a very stiff rubber grommet that could be wedged in but that
couldn't close the whole openning. I assume the PO did what you are
suggesting but didn't do it very well.

When I was having the car redone, I took a piece of steel, cut a 3" diameter
circle with a drill press and a hole saw, and then pop riveted it over the
old hole, which I enlarged. Got a new grommet also, so it closes up nicely.
I wouldn't want to remove the trans tunnel every time I want to check the
fluid level, I do it all too infrequently as it is, so if it were me, I
would cut a hole.

Bob