RE: Twitchy gas pedal/acceleration

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Twitchy gas pedal/acceleration
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:51:35 -0700 FILETIME=[70EBD810:01C30438]
> When I press down on the gas pedal it just has to move a little
> before the
> engine increase 1000/2000 RPMs even wn-heb in gear.  It makes for a jerky
> ride when coming from a stop.  When driving hard it is less
> noticeable, but
> it is difficult to accelerate slowly.
>
> The car is tuned, the carbs balanced with a unisync, the timing shows
> correctly.
> What's wrong?  Do I have an incorrect needle in the carbs, if so
> what type of
> needle will help?  Any other thoughts as to what it might be?

Some things to try :

1) Check the angle that the crank on the front of the throttle shaft makes
with the link to the bellcrank mounted on the manifold.  The more nearly
right angle here, the less responsive the throttle will be.  It's only
attached to the throttle shaft with a pinch bolt, so it's fairly easy to
change.  You may need to change the length of the link to the bellcrank
afterwards.  Also check that the bellcrank reaches a right angle at about
mid-throttle.

2) I've found that lighter oil in the dashpots makes the throttle response a
little slower.  If you're running something fairly heavy, you might try ATF
or 3-in-1.

3) Make sure that all the balls for the pivots are in good shape.  They can
do strange things when they wear oblong, as they usually do if they've not
been kept lubricated.

4) Make sure the return springs are all in place and functioning.  Each carb
should have a spring, and there's another one on the firewall.

FWIW, I don't believe a Uni-syn is the best tool to use to balance a TR3.
If you use the "SU toolkit" instead, you can get the carbs balanced as the
throttle opens instead of just at idle.  If you do it with a Uni-syn, the
rear carb always lags a bit when you open the throttle.

Randall