Twitchy gas pedal/acceleration

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Twitchy gas pedal/acceleration
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:02:17 EDT
Maybe this is supposed to be normal on a '59 TR3A.

When I press down on the gas pedal it just has to move a little before the
engine increase 1000/2000 RPMs even wn-heb in gear.  It makes for a jerky
ride when coming from a stop.  When driving hard it is less noticeable, but
it is difficult to accelerate slowly.

If I retard the timing to the point that I start to get hesitation, it helps
a little but then I lose some acceleration under load.

The car is tuned, the carbs balanced with a unisync, the timing shows
correctly.
What's wrong?  Do I have an incorrect needle in the carbs, if so what type of
needle will help?  Any other thoughts as to what it might be?

Thanks,

Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A  TS58399
59 Bugeye (in pieces)