Wood Question- LBC, but not Triumph...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Wood Question- LBC, but not Triumph...
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:15:07 -0400
Ok, here's one for the wood workers here... I am currently relaquering the wood
panels from an 88 XJ6 Vanden Plas Jaguar, and I was wondering about part of my
technique- I realize the old laquering had cracked due to heat, age, and most
probably the oils from the veneer beneath drying out- thus causing the veneer
to crack. I have stripped the old lacquer at this point, and sanded smooth the
veneer beneath. I am planning to use a 2 part, pour epoxy coating, self
leveling, to replace the lacquer- I have used this before, and found it quite
handy. My question is this- Is it possible to reoil the veneer with something
like Homer Formby's, or another wood oil, and then to coat it? I am trying to
rejuvenate the veneer before I coat it- I don't wish to have to strip it
anytime soon because of aging issues. I am just worried that adding oil to the
wood veneer might adversely affect the coating- or would oiling the wood and
allowing for absorption followed by wipe downs be enough?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott