Re: Fitting wheel well covers

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fitting wheel well covers
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:45:44 -0700
Well, I got my wheel well covers installed.  I read the description on
Brian Sanborn's page, and got a tip from Geo Hahn who suggested:

> This may be too late for you... but last time around on my TR3 I glued
> the foam to the covers, not the wheel wells.  I made paper patterns of
> the inside of the covers so the foam fit perfectly.  I used a very
> soft foam -- it was about a 1/2" thick but would compress easily to
> almost nothing.  Fitting the foam this way let me position it exactly
> on each side of the seam of the cover so the seam did not create a
> lump.  I then glued the covers to the body of the car along the edges
> only allowing the cover to be drawn very tight.

Which it was too late, as I had already glued the foam to the wheel
wells.  But it gave me an idea.  I went back and trimmed the top strip
of foam (I glued the side first, then the top) to match where I wanted
the seam to be.  Then I turned the cover inside out, and glued just the
edge of the seam to the side foam.  This allowed me to get the seam
straight and tight.  I left the bottom third or so unglued at this
point.  Then I flipped the top section over and glued it to the side.
I was able to pull it very tight without distorting the seam.  Then I
glued the flat side section, then finished the lower "leg".

All in all, I think it came out very well.

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS CTC67956L