Accessory fustration - no LBC - longish

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Accessory fustration - no LBC - longish
From: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:46:07 -0500
Cc: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Hi all,
[start of rant]
I have heard many times about the fustration many of us experience with our
cars and sometimes some of the parts we are forced to deal with. The one
that quickly comes to mind are the repo TR3a fenders, enough said! Tonight I
popped out to fill up the "Triumph Support Vehicle" aka the Sierra, gas was
cheaper tonight and I have to take every opportuity to fill up. I then went
to a DIY car wash to clean off some more of the winter grime, you know hand
wand etc. As I was washing, black flecks of paint were coming off from
somewhere?!?!

About 3 years ago, when times were better for all, I decided to dress up my
truck. I got nerf bars for the sides, a light bar for the top and a bush bar
across the front all in black for a gray ad black theme, besides I have seen
the chrome stuff fail.  At that time I decided to go with the better quality
stuff, a little extra money but worth it. Well, coming in the 3rd summer and
I am finding the nerf bars have the paint peeling and the factory decals are
coming off the truck ('95). On a happy note, the powder coated bush bar is
hold up well, but all of the painted mounting hardware and bolts are
rusting!

I am starting to believe that the aftermarket accessory makers are thinking
that their products should be disposable after 3 years. Thank goodness my
Triumphs have weathered the years better, I am sure they were driven daily
through everything early in thiers lives as well. Oh well, you get what you
pay for................. maybe not!

[end of rant]
David Templeton
'74 Spitfire