Re: Value for a TR6 overdrive transmission?

To: mountainunicycle@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Value for a TR6 overdrive transmission?
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:22:52 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, fwildi@as.arizona.edu
Steve,
I also wanted to upgrade to OD. I have a TR3 and explored all
options. As you can see, the rebuild OD trannys kits sell on ebay for
around $2K. That's a lot of money. I watched the A-type OD's (mostly
Healey) and they go for $200-250. I talked to Joe Esposito and he
told me that as long as you do not race a J-type OD will do fine.
That's that trak I am on now: I am converting a STD trany to J-type
OD. The price:

TR4 tranny               : $100
J-type OD                : $  5 (Paid $50 for Volvo OD tranny,
                            sold it w/o OD for $45!)
Used OD main shaft       : $ 80  Joe Esposito
Used OD adaptor          : $ 70  Joe Esposito
New synchros             : $ 33
Gasket set               : $ 12
TR6 input shaft          : free
TR6 constant gear        : $ 37  TRF
Trust washers, bushings:+/-$ 60
lipseals                +/-$  8
OD switched for top cover: $ 24
Angle drive for speedo   : $ 38
2 pins  (gearbox forks)  : $ 15
                        --------
                           $482

Right now I only problem remaining, is the connexion of the angle
drive to the gear box. The thread on the Volvo side in not compatible
with the one on the angle drive and I will have to make an adaptor.

Between about $500 and $2000 there is a quite a difference and I am
glad I dared venturing on the full custom route.

Francois