Type A OD problems

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Type A OD problems
From: "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:01:00 -0500 FILETIME=[AC626390:01C2E8E1]
As you all know I couldn't get my new OD to go into overdrive.  With the help
of several people on the list I got it to go into overdrive and then couldn't
get it out.  As I contemplated removing the newly installed unit. (I had not
decided if to repair it or use it as a weapon to bludgeon the car.)  I got the
following e-mail From Steven Harris, technical grew, of our own Cape Cod
British Car Club. Steve has been the presenter at several technical sessions
sponsored by the club and is very LBC knowledgeable.  Since a number of people
asked me to let them know how I made out.  I'm posting Steve's advice below,
as worked great and may be of interest to others on the list.  My last problem
to solve is how to get the 69" speedometer cable that is supposed to reach the
new angle drive to actually reach it!
    Again, my thanks to everyone who was kind enough to give me input on this
problem.
Bob Rochlin
72' TR 6
Bob, Don't fret....The won't disengage this is very common on "new" or
units that have sat for a long time. The annulus is stuck to the brake ring.
This will "wear in" with use and the problem will go away. In the manual, it
says that if this happens, to hit the overdrive unit with a soft hammer. (I
know....I 've done it and it works. very British eh?) The other way I have
found to disengage o/d is when the car is on the ground, put it in reverse,
and very slowly , ever so gently let the clutch out. The engine will start
to bog down, and then pop, the overdrive unit releases. Now if it doesn't
release, don't attempt to drive it in reverse as you will do irreparable
damage. I had one unit do that for maybe 2 weeks of casual driving and then
it was fine. The unit had sat for maybe 15 years without use. Jay really
wants an O/D, and before you start kicking the cat or shooting little
songbirds, I'm sure he'd take it off your hands.

      Steve Harris