IRS input flange/nut torque spec

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: IRS input flange/nut torque spec
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 19:17:32 -0800
I can't find a spec for the slotted nut on the input (pinion) shaft of
the 4A IRS diff in the factory shop manual.  Haynes says 85-100 lbs,
which seems reasonable given the size of the nut and torques for other
similar parts.  I didn't pay much attention before I removed the input
flange (to replace the front seal) as to how easily it turned.  With
the nut just snugged down, thru about 60 lbs, the input turns very
easily.  Taking it up to 85 or 100 lbs. seems to cause some drag.  When
the input flange is on the splines, there is about a 1/8" more that it
could slide down.  I've checked that the new seal isn't keeping the
flange from moving further down.  Should the input turn as easily
before torquing the input as after?  Is 60 lbs. likely to cause a
problem (60 to 85 lbs is about one slot on the nut)?  Can someone look
up the torque spec for a TR250/6?

Thanks,
Darrell

--