TR IRS Half Shaft Wiper Seals

To: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR IRS Half Shaft Wiper Seals
From: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:27:53 -0500
Folks - In rebuilding the hubs & half shafts on my 4A, I ran into a quandary
with how to replace the old cork seals used in above subject. In our
maintenance area at work, I chanced upon a 3/16" section double-seal O-ring,
sometimes called a Quattro seal, which I believe will work. The ring I found
was much too large so I ended up cutting a length from it. I test fit it a
couple of times & cut the mating ends of the ring on a diagonal so they'd
overlap. I could control the wiping action by how tightly I ran down the
thin walled nut that secures the split washer & this seal to the fixed half
of the shaft. McMaster Carr is a source for these seals & a lifetime list
supply could be had for about $8.00.

Mark Meany
TR4A CTC62486 O
Keene, NH