re :calling all 'gearbox' gurus

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re :calling all 'gearbox' gurus
From: Stephen Harris <sharris@smhelectronics.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:08:07 -0500
Cc: "'ptegler@cablespeed.com'" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
problem guys and gals...
I've got a large supply of gears/shafts/you name it
from Triumph gear boxes sitting here I need help identifying
I'm 'assuming'... these are Spitfire/GT6 3rail gears...but...

>QUESTION #1
Two different internal diameter synchros sizes.... some have
only 4 'tiny' .05" wide groves across the internal face of the syncrhos
running perpendicular to the circle of the syncrhos)  some have .11"
wide (qty 4) grooves  and some have 6 .11" wide grooves.
The 6 groove syncrhos are roughly 1.622" i.d. The four groove rings
are roughly 1.5"
QUERY #1.... Are the small id syncrhos (1.5" simply 3 rail 3 syncrho,
syncrho  rings with the 1.622" id rings being a 3 rail 4 syncrho  rings?

 Paul there were two sets of syncros for all GT6/TR7 4speed and spitfire
boxes. The pre-1971 three syncro spitfire and 4 syncro GT6 boxes all used
the same syncro's. The are overall the same size in outside diameter, but
internal diameter is smaller on these syncros. The later spit boxes 4
syncro/3-rail and 4 syncro single rail, and GT6 MK3 (1971-73) all used a
larger in internal diameter syncro. These are also found in TR7 4 speed
boxes.

>QUESTION #2
I have three main shafts.... two have 10 splines, one had 20 for the output
flange. Fro mthe manuals it looks like the 10 spline matches the one
output flange here that has what looks like an oil flinger that will
overhang the outside of the tailcase while the 20 spline flange
does not have this extra flange I'm assuming the 20 spline is the
3rail full syncrho unit.  right? wrong?

   Correct, the 20 spline is a post 1971 three rail 4 syncro for Either a
GT6 or a spitfire. The others could be a GT6 1970 or earlier, or a three
rail, 3 syncro pre 1970 Spitfire. You have to look at them to tell.

>QUESTION #3
I have 4 good condition input shafts... 10 spline... early 3 syncrho
tranny???

COuld be either. All GT6's and spits had 10 spline input shafts to 1974. The
GT6's helical teeth angle on the input shaft changed in 1970 so the laygear
has to match the input shaft. (pre 1971 laygear cannot be used with a post
1971 input shaft) and vice-versa. GT6 and spit ones can not be interchanged.

>QUESTION #4
I have 4 good condition cluster/laygears  ... one has a '30' stamped
in it no other markings on any of the others.
How can I tell if these are 3/4 syncrho  gearbox pieces??

  The three syncro boxes have a very large reverse gear. (straight cut
teeth). They also have bushngs in them for the layshft to run on, not needle
rollers. The GT6 and post 71 spit box always had needle rollers, but again
the helical angle changed at 1970 for GT6 boxes, so early ones and later
ones cannot be used together. Gt6 is close ratio, the spit is not. The
laygear for one, does not match the other.

>QUESTION #5
I've been able to match up a few of the gears, based on the syncrho
ring sizes, so it looks like I have a few each 3 and 4 syncrho  box
1st gears, 2nd, 3rds and 4ths.  Also the syncrho  sleeves 1/2 and 3/4
QUERY... are there any differences in the 3/4 syncrho  boxes
in respect to these syncrho  hubs.

   3/4 although it carries a different part number can be used, between 3
syncro, 4 syncro or GT6 boxes. Even the later single rail one works fine.

  the 1-2 one depends on if you have an all syncro.  Then that will fit all
GT6 and spit boxes that are all syncro. (again different part numbers but
they work fine) The three rail, only has dog teeth on ome side and is quite
different and could only be used in a Spit 3 syncro.
Later in life BL came out with an "improvement kit" that could be applied
and was applied to all factory re-built single rail boxes. It consisted of a
new laygear with fewer reverse teeth, a 1-2 syncro hub to match and a
matching reverse idler gear.  These were availible for both the TR7 4 speed
and the spit. Again laygears can not interchange because of the different
ratios. All three parts are needed to pull off a conversion. These 1-2 hubs
are available quite inexpensively as not many boxes were ever converted, and
since you need all three pieces.....If you get hold of all three pieces
though, you can convert over even an earlier three rail box, with tese later
parts.

>Anyone with the right answers.... and needs a few of these...
may just get them for free if you can help me figure these all out.
I only need a few syncrho  rings and only on of the laygears.
So the rest of these will go to any listers that need them...cheap.

  Hope this helps out...

    Steve Harris
   Treasurer Cape Cod British Car Club

>I've got ALL the spacers, bushings, bearings etc etc well.
a few pics if needed at
http://teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/gears/index.htm

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com