calling all 'gearbox' gurus

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: calling all 'gearbox' gurus
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:47:14 -0500
problem guys and gals...
I've got a large supply of gears/shafts/you name it
from Triumph gear boxes sitting here I need help identifying
I'm 'assuming'... these are Spitfire/GT6 3rail gears...but...

QUESTION #1
Two different internal diameter synchros sizes.... some have
only 4 'tiny' .05" wide groves across the internal face of the syncrhos
running perpendicular to the circle of the syncrhos)  some have .11"
wide (qty 4) grooves  and some have 6 .11" wide grooves.
The 6 groove syncrhos are roughly 1.622" i.d. The four groove rings
are roughly 1.5"
QUERY #1.... Are the small id syncrhos (1.5" simply 3 rail 3 syncrho,
syncrho  rings with the 1.622" id rings being a 3 rail 4 syncrho  rings?

QUESTION #2
I have three main shafts.... two have 10 splines, one had 20 for the output
flange. Fro mthe manuals it looks like the 10 spline matches the one
output flange here that has what looks like an oil flinger that will
overhang the outside of the tailcase while the 20 spline flange
does not have this extra flange I'm assuming the 20 spline is the
3rail full syncrho unit.  right? wrong?

QUESTION #3
I have 4 good condition input shafts... 10 spline... early 3 syncrho
tranny???

QUESTION #4
I have 4 good condition cluster/laygears  ... one has a '30' stamped
in it no other markings on any of the others.
How can I tell if these are 3/4 syncrho  gearbox pieces??

QUESTION #5
I've been able to match up a few of the gears, based on the syncrho
ring sizes, so it looks like I have a few each 3 and 4 syncrho  box
1st gears, 2nd, 3rds and 4ths.  Also the syncrho  sleeves 1/2 and 3/4
QUERY... are there any differences in the 3/4 syncrho  boxes
in respect to these syncrho  hubs.

Anyone with the right answers.... and needs a few of these...
may just get them for free if you can help me figure these all out.
I only need a few syncrho  rings and only on of the laygears.
So the rest of these will go to any listers that need them...cheap.

I've got ALL the spacers, bushings, bearings etc etc well.
a few pics if needed at
http://teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/gears/index.htm

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com