Break-in

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Break-in
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:14:44 -0500
Hi List!
    Yesterday was dry, SUNNY, & warm [High=39^F], but after the cold
spell, this was a 'heat wave'. So I took the car out for the 1st 30 mile
TEST RIDE! :-)  I drain off 2 qt. of fresh oil, heated it up in the
mic., & flooded the Valve Cove with it. Turned over the engine with the
spark plugs out & a couple shots of oil in each cyl., until oil pressure
showed on gauge. Connected up everything started right up to warm up
temp.=160^F [Summer temp.]. Idle set at 1,100/ ran around 2,500RMP did
the slow execration for 20 sec. & coast down to 2,200RPM [about 10 X's]
then cursed about 25->3000. then started to repeat the 10 X's but slow
to increase which gave me the feeling of 'SLIPPAGE'. the Oil pressure
was up around 50#@ 3000 Rpm's after warmed up, & temp was constant 160^.
The RPM would jump from 20 -> 3500 as if sliding on ice. I 1st thought,
"Rings Not Seating in", but talked to another list member & the belief
is poor adjustment on Slave cyl. [This is a TR4/A with Gunst TOB, Sach's
PP, double pin fork, etc..]. I also noticed that the clutch took long to
engage [didn't really start to have the clutch catch the Fly wheel until
the peddle read the top of the peddle stroke], as the ride went on.
    I rebuilt the engine/all accessories, too; tranny; clutch; but not
the OD. this past two riding seasons. Just as a reminder in knowing the
facts. I would like any helpful input to the slippage? :-\ / blow by :-\
?     TIA,
-Cosmo Kramer