RE: TR6 piston wrist pin clips

To: "Listers" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 piston wrist pin clips
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:01:30 -0800
> Am I missing something in this discussion?  I don't understand
> how the wrist
> pin clips can be compressed by the movement of the piston.

The concept is that the motion of the piston is so violent at the end of the
stroke, that the inertia of the clip itself causes one leg of the clip to
bend.  Think of dropping a coil spring on the floor, the spring will
compress slightly as it hits and then expand again as it rebounds.

I'm guessing it's a myth, even at 14000 rpm, but strange things do happen
when you push engines to the breaking limit.

Randall