TR6 piston wrist pin clips

To: "Triumph List \(Triumph List\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 piston wrist pin clips
From: "Rob Christopher \(robc\)" <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:31:02 -0500
OK,

So I'm in a mild state of panic right now.  My TR6 engine is completely
rebuilt and sitting in the garage waiting for the body shop to finish
their magic.

In the course of chatting with a guy at the local community college, he
tells me that the little C-clips at the ends of the wrist pin must be
installed so that their openings are either at the top or the bottom,
never ever sideways.  He claims if they are installed sideways, they can
compress on the power stroke and pop out.  He of course is talking about
14000 rpm two stroke dirt bike motors, but I'm very concerned whether
this is a universal standard.

With my TR6 engine completely assembled, I have no recollection of the
orientation I installed these darn C-clips into the pistons.  My
reassembly photos don't show enough detail.  Is this something I
absolutely must check before venturing towards redline with this engine?

Rob in Ottawa
74.5 TR6 CF28217UO
(shipwrights disease, obsessive compulsive, and a lousy short term
memory, what a great combination)