Re: Hood & tonneau install

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hood & tonneau install
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:15:59 -0700
Egbman1@aol.com wrote:

> I'm about to embark upon the installation of a new top and tonneau cover on
>my '62 TR4.

Apologies for the length -- long for an email but brief as instructions go.  I
send to the list so others might add, correct, etc....

It's really pretty easy -- wish I had taken some photos for my website the last
time I did this.  Some thoughts...

Tools --

I use a hole punch (about 3/16") that came with a set of Xacto knives.  There
are many sources for these, get one that is pretty sharp.  You use this for
both snaps and lift-the-dot (LTD).  It is the only special tool I needed for
the LTDs.

You will need a little anvil piece to hold the button side of the snap -- some
are plastic, some are a metal casting.  These usually come in an installation
set that includes little tool (about an inch long) to flare the rivet
portion of the fastener.  The kit (probably available from a fabric store or
auto upholstery supplier) may also include a little hole punch -- but this may
be too dull & small to be of much use.

Only other things I use are a small hammer, small screwdriver and two blocks of
soft wood (the end grain of a short piece of 2x4 is good).

For LTD --

I punch a hole where I want the fastener, then position the top of the LTD
fastner over the hole with a block of wood underneath.  I then tap the fastener
using the hammer and the other block of wood.  I have always been able to
punch right thru the vinyl with those sharp tabs (some folks prefer to pre-cut
the slits with an Xacto knife).

Flip the piece over & slip the bottom plate over the tabs (there is a right
direction -- tabs are closer together at one end of the fastener) and crimp the
tabs over.  I crimp them by pressing with the blade of a flat-bladed
screwdriver.

For Snaps --

Punch the hole using the wood block as above.  With the 2 parts of the snap in
place rest the button side in the little anvil and use the flaring tool &
hammer to spread the rivet.  Actually, my kit came with 2 flaring tools -- one
with a sorta round tip and the other sorta square.  I make the intital hit with
the square one to get a nice spread... then use the round one to really secure
the pieces.

Where did you get your top & tonneau?  My tonneau was from Moss and my top from
Vicki Brit (Robbins I think) -- both were *very* tight -- that is, the
fasteners had to be installed right up against the seams to make it fit.  I
would
have been happier with a little slack to work with but the results are very
nice and that tonneau is as tight as a trampoline:

http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/tr4-five.html

For the tonneau I started at the front and put the snaps as far forward as I
could.  I worked from the center out, first the front, then across the back
lastly along the doors.

For the top I hooked the front edge in place and again did the LTDs from the
center out.

For the LTDs on both I would do 2, then trial fit and mark for 2 more.  I had
the old top so I would measure the actual peg spacing on the car (at the base
of the peg) & the fastener spacing on the old top and finally mark the spot
on the top/tonneau where the next peg wanted to be.  The last is the surest
method but measuring the pegs and old top makes it triple-darn-sure that it is
right.

As I said, mine came out nice and tight but I have seen some that are baggy so
not all brands fit the same.  If yours look like they will be tight you may
want a warmish day to make things easier to work with and to assure a
year-round tight fit.  If you could even just get a sunny day this would be
enough to make things easier (especially if the pieces are black).

Good luck -- feel free to contact me with any corn-fusions.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ