RE: what tires for TR3 with TR6 wheels?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: what tires for TR3 with TR6 wheels?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:40:10 -0800
> I think that a few of you are using TR6 wheels on TR3 roadsters.
> Since I intend to do the same, I wonder what kind of tire size is
> most appropriate.
> Can you help?

I started with 185/65-15, they look nice in the wheel wells and did not rub
anywhere.  At around 850 turns/mile, they are only about 5% shorter than the
original Michelin X tires (811 tpm) which results in  minimal speedometer
and odometer error (about 5% high or 3 mph @ 60 mph).  This is a very common
size, lots of fairly high performance tires to choose from.  195/65 might be
worth a try (offering an even better choice of high performance tires), but
I didn't do so.

Tried 195/50-15, they also didn't rub but I didn't like the way they looked,
and they were just too short to suit me (920 tpm).  Also reduced my ground
clearance too much for ordinary street driving.

Currently wearing 205/55-15, they do rub just a bit, even after I moved the
body on the frame to equalize the clearance on both sides.  They look just a
smidgeon small in the wheel wells to me, but not objectionably so; and at
something like 880 tpm, speedo error is still under 10%.  I plan to convert
to 3.45 gears, which should bring it back pretty close (once I install the
speedo head for 3.70 gears).

Oh, and compared to skinny tires, it corners like it's on rails.  I need to
get more swaybar, as the axle once again hits the frame rails before the
sticky tires break loose.

Not sure if it's the tires or the steering rebuild completed at about the
same time, but it also steers quite easy.  At freeway speeds, I literally
drive with thumb and forefinger.

Randall