Re: DIY Leak down tester

To: robc@cisco.com, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DIY Leak down tester
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:05:55 -0700
Rob,

Here is another link that discusses the orifice.  I tried a leakdown
test using my Sears compressor that has two gauges (tank and line
pressure, obviously no orifice) and I got stable readings varying from
85 to 92%.  Of course, my engine had compression readings that ranged
from 75 to 110 PSI, and I could definitely hear the air coming out of
various places for the cylinders with low compression/ leakdown rates.
So I'm not sure if an orifice is absolutely necessary if you get a
stable PSI reading.  Perhaps others on the list who are more
knowledgeable in this area could "pipe" in.

http://www.530i.org/530i-Test-leak-compression.htm
<http://www.530i.org/530i-Test-leak-compression.htm>

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

Rob wrote:>
My question is related to the differences in the two testers on these
two pages.  One shows a regulator and pressure gauge separted by a
tightly reduced (1mm hole in expoxy filled pipe) segment and in line
with the air flow.  It is noted the restricted piece is vital.

The other has a the air gauge mounted to the regulator directly, but
there is no mention of a restricted piece between the two except in the
parts list there is a 'close nipple' noted.

What is a close nipple?  Is it a restricted piece of pipe between the
gauge and regulator?  I of course have the bits to build this second
type but am not sure if I need this restricted bit of pipe.....