Post TS50000 gear-reduction starter (TR3) for sale

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Post TS50000 gear-reduction starter (TR3) for sale
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:18:04 -0800 (PST)
First off, many thanks go out to Randall and others
for all the help in diagnosing my starter issue. The
pinnion was hitting the flywheel and binding due to
being for the later bolt on flywheel - not the earlier
shrunk on one like I have.  So I called up TRF and
told them my delima (The starter was bought over a
year ago, and was installed to try to get it to work).
Response was varied and included:

"It's not our fault, you have the wrong flywheel"
"Oh it's the right flywheel? How could we have known
that we sent you the wrong one?"
"Sorry we sent you the wrong one. You installed it
though and we can't take it back."

I've been aggravated with TRF in many little ways (not
all that friendly on phone, no up-to-date price manual
like VB and Moss, majority of parts are always on
'back order') but this sent me over the top. I mean
they told me *I* ordered the wrong part, though I told
them I needed the starter for TS42099L when I ordered
the blasted thing. The commision number alone should
have told them I needed the earlier starter. I'm not
saying I won't order from them again... they carry
parts that others don't or that others charge much
more for. The parts I do order will be few and far
between, though. It's a shame too, as I like many
aspects of the company. i.e. The car club, events they
hold, etc. And I have several thousands of dollars
left to spend before the car is on the road. Oh well.

Long story short, I will be ordering the earlier
starter from another source. Anyone looking for a gear
reduction starter for bolt-on flywheel? I paid $180 on
sale last year (it's rebuilt) and it's been installed
with scuffing on the pinnion from hitting flywheel.
Teeth are solid and I'm 100% confident it will work
well for the right car. Any offer over $100
considered.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Richard