Re: deep pan

To: TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: deep pan
From: David <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:12:01 -0800
Yes, ideally you would extend the pickup to about .5 in
from the bottom of the pan. The trouble is that as you
deepen the pan while still maintaining the same oil level
at the dipstick, and without extending the oil pump pickup,
you more readily run the risk of exposing the pick up to
air. This is so because given the same lateral G forces,
and given what I said above, a deeper pan will result in
oil sloshing higher on the outside of the pan and lower
on the inside of the pan. You can prove this to yourself
by imagining taking the stock pan and doubling its depth.
Now consider the oil as 2 separate levels. There's the
upper level which consists of the oil in a stock pan, then
there's the lower level which consists of an equal amount
of oil but placed below the upper level. If you consider
how G forces act on these to layers independently then
you can add them up to get the resultant. What happens
is that both layers are effected by the G force identically.
They both slosh to the outside by the same height and
lower on the inside by the same height. Now if you stack
both of there layers, their respective sloshing accumulates.
In reality the lower level adds less to the resultant because
the weight of the upper level flattens it's G force effect.  The
outcome is that the deeper pan climbs up the outside wall
and falls on the inside wall to a greater degree than the
shallow pan. Thus the oil pickup should be lowered.

Sorry for the long winded explanation,
Dave