Re: Camber, Caster and so on... (Shorter still!)

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com (Dave Massey), OC@46thFoot.com (Michael Hargreave Mawson)
Subject: Re: Camber, Caster and so on... (Shorter still!)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:37:55 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net ("[unknown]")
In a message dated 2/6/2003 10:38:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, Dave Massey
<105671.471@compuserve.com> writes:

>>Rear Toe

 [...]

>Asymetrical rear toe will cause the car to "dog track" which is to say the
>car will drive down the street a bit sideways.  This is most common to live
>axle cars with leaf springs where the axle has shifted on the spring on one
>side.  I'm not familiar with this suspension but isn't the adjustment for
>this done with shims inserted in the U-joint attachments to the diff?

That would ever so slightly change the track, but not the toe. Toe is adjusted
with shims on the forward mount of the radius rod to the body on a Spitfire or
GT6 (or similar mount to the frame outrigger on a Herald or Vitesse).

Of course, if that mounting point is weak enough, the toe is automatically and
constantly adjusted for you with the accelerator pedal. This is NOT recommended
on cars actually being propelled by a motor of any size or power output on a
public thoroughfare or elsewhere. ;-) (Ask me how I know; nothing like a little
"torque steer" on a GT6+ with a rusted radius arm mount!)

--Andy Mace