RE: Tire pressure

To: <Egbman1@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tire pressure
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:00:51 -0800
> List,
> I'm wondering what tire pressure to run on my 1962 TR4 with
> modern Kumho radials size 165/75 R15 on 4.5x15 wire wheels. All
> the info I can find in the owner's manual etc... refers to the
> old bias ply tires. What are people running?
> TIA, Earl Bowman
> CT11550L

Earl, there is no single 'right' tire pressure, the best value depends on
what you want.  With modern steel radials, lower pressures tend to give a
smoother, softer ride; while higher pressures tend to ride harsher, but
respond quicker to steering input and frequently hold the road better (more
lateral traction).  I usually start at, or near, the maximum pressure stated
on the sidewall, then work my way down in small increments (like 2 psi)
looking for best handling with an acceptable ride.  Haven't had a chance to
start that process with the latest tires on either my TR3A or Stag, the TR3A
has 36 psi at present, the Stag 32 (because that's what the wheel dealer put
in).  Of course, you can only compare pressures with the tires cold (the
pressure goes up when the tire warms), so this process extends over at least
several days.

Randall