Re: Small end bushes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Small end bushes
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:53:58 EST
Cc: jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie
This reminds me of the time that I suggested to a TR2 owner in Dublin, that
the
steering box bush could be sized in a pinch with a brake cylinder hone, with
due caution about getting the bush bell mouthed.

I once had to make a race with my TR3 with no time to get the small ends of
brand new con rods done in a shop, so I used the brake cylinder hone trick,
and got away with it.  This is not a suggestion!!

The proper way is with a machine like the "Toben arc"  (spelling guess)
device that
holds the big end of the rod by the journal ID when honing the small end to
size.

This results in the correct center to center rod length, and aligns both
bores properly.

A one thumb press on the pin to move it at room temp. is used by some.

Do have the rods checked for cracks by the little oil holes in the "H"
section.

    Hardy Prentice             TS10646 L, etc.