Uneven pad wear

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h13Iw7hu029027
Subject: Uneven pad wear
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:55:51 -0500
Message text written by "Alex Redding"
>Point taken with some hesitation. I was thinking mostly about single
piston calipers that slide. But if the pins that hold the pads in place and
that they move on as the pads are engaged & released are damaged in any way
they would tend to restrict the release of the pads causing uneven pad
wear. Seventies Honda Civics had the same type of system & I recall techs I
knew saving "good" pads to replace the wornout outside pad on their
personal cars.Thinking about it (Hey, it was 25 years ago & I have CRS big
time.) uneven pad wear within the caliper was common back then & unless the
piston(s) were frozen you just lived with it. Where I should have been
going with this is that replacing seals, boots, & pistons is not a surefire
solution unless whatever the pads ride on is also free & lubricated. Alex
<

That's a good point.  However, I would think that if the retaining pins
were hanging up the wear would be more pronounced on the outer edge closest
to the pins.  No indication of this was expressed but it is certainly worth
a look.

Dave