rear hatch trim - mastic and Plastisol

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: rear hatch trim - mastic and Plastisol
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 04:39:49 -0500
What a nightmare. Thank goodness for tons of old
manuals.  After 12 'custom' tool designs/attempts...
I finally got the trim..into the groove in the seal of the rear
hatch glass.  Figures.... NO manual tells you how to install it
This is the little 'T' shaped trim that sticks down into the
round groove in the rubber itself.

This is where/why I was asking about 'modifying' the rubber
before.

In an old Vitesse manual... was one/two sentences... no pics....
You're suppose to put it in the groove 'BEFORE' you install
the seal and glass into the hatch!  GREAT!  I had just finished
installing the new seal and passed a 'third brake light' wiring
down around the seal. NO WAY I WAS GOING TO PULL IT
OUT to do over again just for the trim.

Now the worst part.  I had an original, real metal, stainless steel
MK!? MKII? MKIII 'T' shaped front windshield trim pieces here...
So I straightened out the bends and re-bent them to follow the curves
of the rear hatch seal.  BUT COULDN'T GET THEM IN.
was really p___ off when I found how they were 'supposed' to be installed.
Well....I found a way anyway. Made bunch of tiny tools and it's in.

NOW FOR THE BIGGie...
How many people actually put sealant around the glass IN the grooves
of the seal for the glass AS WELL AS the body metal grooves.
Apparently all these grooves are suppose to be sealed up with
mastic or Plastisol.

So... now that the rubber is all nice and tight...I get to try and lift
the edges to cram the tip of a silicone sealant tube in the there
to seal everything...

Ha..... live and learn.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com