Re: GT6 Gearbox

To: "Alun Bain" <MPArun@minorplanet.com.au>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 Gearbox
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:35:27 -0000 gBBNaiTk025719
From: Alun Bain <MPArun@minorplanet.com.au>

> I have recently purchased a Mk3 GT6 and I have been told by quite a few people
> that the gearbox is very weak.  can any other gearbox be used without too much
> modification?

Hi Alun,
    The gearbox shouldn't be a problem with a standard engine - I have friends
who are driving (aggressively) GT6s with a 2.5 engine without problems - the
diff is usually the weakest link in this setup.

> does the 2.5 PI/TC engine and gearbox fit in without much
> trouble?

The big saloon box is considerably larger and most installations end up with
the output shaft sitting higher than in the original installation. This makes
the propshaft articulate more on each revolution so it's not desirable. Having
said that I am aware of several people who've done this conversion without any
reported problems.

>  is it at all worth doing?

In the UK I would say no as rebuilt boxes are not expensive. On your side of
the planet it depends on the relative cost of rebuilding the original box.

>  First gear is noisy and doesn't engage as
> easy as it should, the other gears are fine and I want to get the gearbox
> fixed but if there is an option to upgrade the gear box (and maybe the engine)
> I would be interested to hear your thoughts...

Can you double declutch down into 1st? If so it's probably a matter of worn
synchromesh. Herald and early Spitfire drivers are well used to non-synchro 1st
gear as our cars weren't built with synchro on the lowest gear.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics